PARTY OF THE EUROPEAN LEFT (EL) EXECUTIVE BOARD ON THE SITUATION IN CATALONIA AND ON DEMOCRATIC FREEDOMS
The Executive Board of the Party of the European Left met in Vienna on 23/24 March 2018 and, in light of the political events in Catalonia, declares the following:
- Its total and unbreakable commitment to social rights and political freedom in the whole of Europe and, consequently, also in Spain and Catalonia. Without these rights and political freedoms a Europe which deserves to be called a real democracy is not possible.
- Its solidarity with Catalan political prisoners, apart from our political differences, as they are prisoners because of charges they face for offences of political rebellion, which are both disproportionate and unlawful, looking at the provisions of Spanish law. We also express our solidarity with our comrade and member of the Council of Chairpersons of the European Left and coordinator of EUIA, Joan Josep Nuet, who has been prosecuted for disobedience.
- Our total opposition to the democratic regression in Spain, led by the right wing party and its government. This regression is reflected not only in the Catalan question but also in repressive laws against freedom of opinion, expression and, in this case, even against political rights. Laws that attack also cultural freedom, against the right to strike, etc...
- We demand that the Catalan conflict, which is at heart a political conflict, can only have a political resolution and never a penal one. We urge all parties to the conflict to engage meaningfully in the search for a solution to the conflict, especially the government of the Spanish state.
- We express our support to the Catalan people in their efforts to solve the conflict in a peaceful and democratic way. In this political conflict they are confronted with a reactionary government that is unable to envisage a solution that would correspond to the democratically expressed will of the Catalonian people.
EL-Executive Board, Vienna, 23./24.03.2018